Monday, February 3, 2014

Albondigas Soup

Albondigas Soup

This recipe is courtesy of our local Abundant Harvest Organics box, they deliver (weekly) local fresh produce and sometimes meats, nuts and other goodies straight from the farmers around the region, all the way to Edwards AFB.  This is so wonderful for those who want organic, fresh, seasonal produce and not have to drive into town more than necessary.  Anyways I usually like to try out the yummy recipe they include in the newsletter so this one is Albondigas Soup, which I have honestly never even had until now, even though it is on virtually every Mexican food menu I have ever seen, and I have lived in the Southwest my entire life.  I guess it was one of those menu items that scared me, which is dumb you should always try things at least once right?

I mean if I hadn't ever tried escargots or anchovies I wouldn't love them like I do now.  I am dead serious....I love both of those delicacies.  YOLO (you only live once) you should try new things you might be surprised at what you end up loving or even just liking.  I always tell my kids that if a Zombie apocalypse (Walking Dead fanatics in this house) were to happen they better be ready to eat anything and everything because if they are picky, well they are dead.  I use the Zombie Apocalypse in my favor quite frequently and guess what it works...don't judge me.  Emilie asked me the other day, why do you always go to the gym?  My response, "well if the zombie apocalypse happens then guess what I will be fit to fight!"  A girls gotta be able to sprint and lift heavy things if you want to stay alive duh!  I mean seriously next time you are doing your sprints just pretend you are being chased by a zombie, I guarantee you will improve your 100 meter...  Back to Albondigas soup (say it 5x fast, or just try saying it once lol) I don't even know how to pronounce it but it is seriously wonderful if you are craving a zesty comfort food soup on a cold, super windy day (that last part is primarily for those of us at Edwards).

I actually made this last Saturday for the family after getting the organic box, all of them loved it, which is a huge success in our house.  Anyways I had quite a bit leftover, so leftovers for lunch it is.  I enjoyed every bite of this listening to the wind howling outside and catching up with the latest Downton Abbey episode.  The makings of a perfect afternoon, while the little guy is sleeping.  I hope you try it even if the name sounds weird...trust me you won't be disappointed.

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
  • 1 large leek (washed well and chopped)....even if this is organic your should rinse each leave well it is hard to get the soil out of it unless you take  a little more time and separate each leaf from the base.
  • 2 green onions chopped
  • 2 qts beef stock and 1 qt water (1 qt = 32oz)
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 3 potatoes peeled diced into 1 inch pieces approximately
  • 4 large carrots peeled and diced
  • 1 tsp of dry oregano or 1 tbsp fresh chopped
  • 1/3 c raw brown rice (if strict paleo omit, or add riced cauliflower instead)
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • dash of cayenne 
  • 1.5 cup frozen or fresh peas
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large pot (5qt) over medium heat.  Add onions and leeks cook until tender then add the garlic and cook a bit longer.  Add broth, water and tomato sauce, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Add in the carrots and potatoes.  Meanwhile prepare the meatballs in a bowl.  Mix the ground beef, rice, salt and pepper and the egg, form the mixture into 1 inch balls.  Add the meatballs to the soup one at a time.  Let the soup simmer for a half hour.  Add the peas in, about 10 minutes before the soup is finished.  Add in the oregano and cayenne to the soup, garnish with cilantro.  I also garnished mine with a spoon full of non-fat greek yogurt (omit if strict paleo) and a lacing of Sriracha sauce, because I can't get enough spice.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment