Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash


 Our latest CSA box contained a couple small butternut squash so instead of making soup with them I am trying "new" things.  I decided last night to incorporate one of them with my roasted sweet potatoes for a carb-dense side dish.



Ethan had karate last night, so on those nights I run over to the gym which is right next door and get in a my lifting and a bit of cardio.  Last night I did shoulder presses and squats at about 50% of my max, which doesn't sound bad right?  Nah, but for me getting low in my squats can be a challenge at times, then I followed up with a 2 miler under 20 min which is not that fast but fast enough to work up a sweat, then a nice little metcon(metabolic conditioning) finisher:  Heavy goblet squats, pushups, then push-ups and squats on a Bosu ball (little to no rest in between) and of course some stretching.  All of this especially the run worked up a pretty good hunger so I was ready to just get home and finish making dinner since I had a chicken in the Crock-Pot all I had to do was whip up a couple sides.  One of them was this tasty carb-dense dish:



Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp coconut oil (melt in microwave)
1 large sweet potato (peeled and nuked in microwave for two min)
1 small butternut squash or 1/2 of a larger one (peeled and nuked in microwave for two min)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
splash of balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar (optional)

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel, nuke and dice the sweet potato and squash into bite-sized chunks (the smaller the chunk the faster they cook, I was starving last night).  Toss them in a casserole dish and drizzle melted coconut oil over them, sprinkle on the seasonings then using a wooden spoon toss everything until the potatoes and squash are covered in oil and seasonings.  Bake for 30-40 min or until softened enough to eat and edges are somewhat brown.  After they are done you can splash on some vinegar (I used a cinnamon infused vinegar that I recently acquired)  and give them a final mix before serving.

These are great as leftovers in the morning paired with some eggs and spinach!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment