Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Homemade Chicken Broth



Why have I never done this before?  I mean I pay upwards of 2-3 dollars on about 32 oz of organic chicken stock.  The cost savings alone seems to be reason enough to do this, not to mention just how easy this recipe actually is.  Before the reliance on factories to pump out canned foods, people used every last bit of their resources.  An animal such as chicken was needed for eggs, meat and broth.  Cows of course have a multitude of uses as well.  We had a much greater connection to the animals and all of the wonderful resources they provide us.  Now we can run to the supermarket and get everything we need, so we have become extremely disconnected from the source of our food.  Anyways sorry for the hippie rant, but it is refreshing to finally get in touch with where real food comes from, I just can't help but share it.  Additionally canned stock can have loads of sodium, even the less sodium stuff and some even have MSG...so beware something as basic as stock can have us putting less desirable things into our bodies.  This recipe is seriously EASY....After you make up my recipe for Whole Chicken in a Crockpot save the carcass and any additional chicken remainings, even if you don't plan to use it right away place it all in a ziploc bag and save either in the fridge (if planning to use in the next day or so) or freeze until you are ready to make it. 


Place the chicken bones and contents of the ziploc bag into a large stock pot and cover completely with cold water ( I used between 8-10 cups worth of water for mine).  Add in about 1/2-1 whole yellow onion diced, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.  Bring all of this to a boil then cover and simmer on low for about 4 hours.  After 4 hours, using a fine mesh sieve drain the broth off and store in tightly-sealed containers (preferably glass canning jars)  I however use my broth frequently and this recipe yields about 64 oz or about 8 cups of broth.  I didn't have any glass jars, so I used my two blender bottles.  Since I don't do protein shakes any longer well at least these will get some use...





I hope that you give this a try, this is honestly my first go of it and I am seriously kicking myself for having not done it sooner, I mean really this is so easy!!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment