Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sausage Veggie Frittata



Today was my 31st birthday woohoo...I kinda stopped anticipating birthdays after 29, but really I must say that somehow every year I get older I feel younger...strange I know.  Anyways I decided to make something different, something I have been wanting to make for a very long time, something I had intended to make when I originally purchased my cast-iron skillet months ago.  The Frittata  It was a wonderful cloudy day, a perfect day for a warm and tasty breakfast.  After making this and realizing the endless possibilities of the frittata, I must say this might even make it to my weekday morning rotation.







Anyways back to my birthday...it's all about me today guys sorry, I have about 20 minutes to post this before it's over... 
So what an awesome birthday it was too I had a super yummy fritatta, I picked up my abundant harvest box which is a wonderful gift in and of its self.  The day progressed with a family bike ride up to the track, the clouds were so beautiful and we are just loving the rain because it is so incredibly rare here in the desert.  We ran some sprints all out 100meters 5 rounds...it was awesome...the kids loved it too...  We rode home, and later in the evening we went out to our favorite restaurant in "town" called BEX.  They are famous for their tri-tip, if you live here and have never been there...GO...maybe not right now because I am certain they are closed (its almost midnight), but you should be sure to go at some point before you leave this place.  Anyways it was a great day, it will go down in the history books as super memorable.  I hope this fritatta goes down in history as yummy in the tummy.  I hope it brings you as much happiness as it did me and oh did I mention we even had leftovers so Sunday morning breakfast it is. 




Ingredients:
  • 4 oz pork sausage
  • 12 eggs 
  • 1 small sweet potato (peeled and grated)
  • 1 bell pepper (diced)
  • 1/2 onion (diced)
  • handful of flat-leaf parsley diced well
  • 2 stalks green onion (diced)
  • salt and pepper
  • Avocado (optional for garnish)
Method:

  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large cast-iron skillet (or oven-proof skillet) brown the sausage.   While browning beat all of the eggs in a medium sized bowl and in a tad of salt and pepper and dice and prep the vegetables.  This is a kitchen sink sort of frittata, so use whatever veggies you have on hand, the more the merrier.  These are just what I happened to have on hand today but it was pretty tasty.  Once the sausage is browned throw the grated sweet potato in and mix around for a couple minutes.  Once the sweet potato is softened add in the diced veggies and parley. Mix up well and layer evenly across the bottom of the skillet.  Pour the eggs over top of the meat and veggie mixture.  Keep cooking on the stovetop until you can see the bottom of the eggs begin to set a bit.  Then pop it into the preheated oven for approximately 30 min or until the eggs are set and the center does not jiggle at all when you move the pan.  Cool slightly before slicing like a pizza.  Top with a small sprinkling of chili powder (if desired) and some diced avocado.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment