Thursday, May 8, 2014

SnickerDoodle Cookies...In appreciation for all the wonderful teachers out there!

So this week is teacher appreciation week and I had yet to show my appreciation for all the hard work my kids' teachers do day in and day out.  A thankless job really, but an ever so important one.  I have been blessed to have both of my older children in the classrooms of some pretty amazing teachers.  At any rate I needed to find a way to show appreciation, and well the way I show love and appreciation is through cooking and baking so I might as well do something with that right?  So at 9:30 tonight as I was scrolling down my Facebook feed I was reminded of the fact that tomorrow is in fact Friday and I had yet to do any sort of appreciation, I did what I always do when I procrastinate, I decided what a perfect night to try and create my own recipe?

Why not, what could possibly go wrong I am only dead tired and all I wanted to really do is snuggle in bed and watch Downton Abbey.  So before you start thinking that something must have gone wrong, I mean who creates a new recipe to give as a teacher gift the night before?  Crazy people thats who, nothing went wrong, in fact something went completely right...I created my first gluten-free cookie recipe without a bunch of other crazy ingredients such as Xanthan gum and what not added.  I happened to have all the ingredients I thought were necessary and voila I give you the Snickerdoodle cookie re-invented.  Best part is it only took me 20 minutes from start to finish...So theoretically I could have watched Downton Abbey afterwards, but hey I had to get this recipe out to you all before I forgot what I did!  So here it goes.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp tapioca flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp sea salt

1/3 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted coconut oil

For coating:

4 tbsp cinnamon
4 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
tiny bit of granulated sugar if desired to sprinkle on top after baking

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together all of the dry ingredients.  Add in the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.  Roll cookies into 1" balls, then roll around in the cinnamon and coconut sugar.  Place on a large cookie sheet either lined with parchment paper or a Silpat liner, or just use an un-greased baking sheet.  Use the heel of your hand to press the cookies more flat.  Bake for approximately 7-8 minutes.  They may appear a tiny bit undone, but the cooling process will help to get them a bit more firm.  Let cool for a bit and Enjoy!

*  The next time I make these I may experiment with egg as I felt they were a little on the crumbly side due to the almond meal, however an egg would probably help to bind them a tad more.  These were still amazing though I promise.  I hope the teachers and you all enjoy them!


If you are unsure where you can acquire coconut flour, tapioca flour or almond meal, check out Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Organic-16-Ounce/dp/B000KENKZ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399614225&sr=8-2&keywords=coconut+flour, I ordered these boxes of flour(s) and they will last me months!  If you have prime its even better.

Other places to look are health food stores, some higher class supermarkets like Whole Foods, and sometimes even Walmart (not qualifying the latter as high class, by any means:)).


No comments:

Post a Comment