Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pancetta and Turnip Soup

Turnips and mustard greens are two things I have honestly never used in any of my cooking.  I have always wanted to experiment with them but was a bit skeptical.  So when our local CSA box contained those two things and a soup recipe to experiment with I just had to try it out and it was amazing!  I had some pancetta in my fridge that needed used and it worked out wonderfully, great comfort soup.  Try it out even if you think there is no way you would ever eat turnips I dare you to...triple dog dare you.








Ingredients
  • 3-4 large white turnips or 5-6 smaller ones (peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces)
  • 4 oz of pancetta (cut into bite size pieces)
  • 1 leek (washed and chopped)
  • 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 3 cups chopped greens (kale or mustard greens would work)
  • 4-6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
 Method

Make sure all of your veggies and the pancetta are prepped (washed, peeled, chopped).  Melt the coconut oil in a large pot, when it is good and hot add the chopped leek and saute for a couple minutes then add the garlic and saute for an additional minute until fragrant.  Add the pancetta and sautee for a few min, then add in the turnips cooking and stirring for an additional 2 minutes.  Cover with the stock and bring to a boil.  Turn to low and simmer for about 30-40 min or until the turnips are soft.  Add in the greens just 10 min before the soup is finished, enough to soften them a bit.  Enjoy!  


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing and I think we have all the ingredients in the fridge. We also get the AHO box :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you end up making this one? How did you like it? I found the turnips to be a surprisingly good taste as I had never even eaten them before :)

    ReplyDelete