Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Maple-Dijon Chicken Thighs



Let me just say OMG these suckers were unbelievable finger-licking good!  I mean seriously I could eat them a few times a day....might even have them for breakfast!  I whipped these up after my run this morning so I could eat them for lunch and make enough for leftovers, just because that is how I roll...I love leftovers! I almost didn't add the onions in, oh what a shame that
would have been, but needless to say I threw those bad boys in knowing they would be a caramelized goodness in the end.  If you haven't already purchased a cast-iron skillet then do it....immediately! http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-12-Inch/dp/B00006JSUB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397018134&sr=8-1&keywords=cast+iron+skillet This is the exact one I have.  I am telling you I use mine daily I just adore it, especially for recipes that I start on the stove and finish off in the oven such as this particular one.  Sure you could use any oven-proof skillet or even a dutch-oven, but something about cast-iron just gives it such a down-home good taste. Anyways I guess I will just get straight down to business, because chances are you are like me and just wanting the darn recipe, not to read an entire novel...Confession:  I am terrible about just scrolling down a blog post as quickly as possible to get to the actual recipe...I think that is just my impatient Activator side...if you know strength finders you know what I am talking about!  So without further ado here is the best chicken thighs recipe you are ever going to find....yes I am that confident about it!

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2-3 pounds of chicken thighs (mine were skinless/boneless, doesn't matter)
  • 1/2 cup of high quality dijon 
  • 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • dash of salt and pepper
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 large onion, sliced into large slices




Method:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  While oven is preheating, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.  Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, then when the oil is good and hot place the chicken into the pan....ah don't you love that sizzle sound?  I know I do, one of my favorite parts of cooking!  Sear the thighs for a few min on each side to get a nice golden outer layer around them.  While they are searing whip up the glaze.  In a small bowl whisk together the dijon and maple syrup, then add in a touch of salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste (yes taste it, dip your little pinky finger in and see if it is seasoned to your liking) When the chicken is seared, go ahead and drizzle the chicken with the glaze and then throw in the sliced onions, using tongs to move everything around a bit until they are nice and settled in for the oven (try to move the onions a little under the chicken with the tongs).  Place the skillet in the preheated oven and finish off the cooking for approximately 25-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.  Enjoy this yummy chicken on top of some riced cauliflower or with  a nicely loaded salad on the side!


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! We live off chicken. To the point where the kids ask what's for dinner and then tell me they don't know why they ask lol. I'm always looking for new ways to make it so it's not so boring! I'm def going to give this a try! What type of Dijon did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, I use a mustard that my mother in law bought us from France http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Amora-Dijon-Mustard-Large/dp/B004AGBYRS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397192218&sr=8-3&keywords=french+mustard, it is this one, but really you could try any simple high quality dijon...I think it would work :) I want to make this again asap! lmk how you guys like it!!

    ReplyDelete