Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Snickerdoodle ice cream

Eating healthy whole foods does not mean to give up all that is good...there is always room in my diet for a hunk of dark chocolate, a glass of wine or a bowl of ice cream...sometimes even all three in one night....I know I am crazy like that, that could be painful the next day though, this is something I know all too well.  It is amazing how once you cut out all the crap from your diet, you are accutely aware of how certain foods affect your body more so than others.  Even foods that are made with natural sugars such as honey, if eaten in high amounts will still affect your digestion...So remember in moderation sweets are ok from time to time....I don't want this post to get out of hand and give people the idea that it is okie dokie to go sweets crazy just because something is tagged as being "paleo."  Cave people would have never had access to an ice cream maker or copious amounts of honey (unless they were brave enough to reach inside a hive), but I have an ice cream maker thanks to modern day technology and by golly I will make some darn ice cream from time to time because I like it!  So sue me...if making this makes me a bad-girl in the Paleo realm I don't want to be good ;).

 Ok lets get down to business already!  If you like coconut flavors and cinnamon then this ice cream recipe if for you!  This is a perfectly sweet, dairy-less concoction that I think anyone would love, paleo and non-paleo alike.  So give it a whirl, you just might like it!  Disclaimer mine turned out super awesome because I had access to Trader Joes canned Coconut Cream

...don't dispair if this is unavailable in your location...either try Amazon or just use full-fat coconut milk in a can (Thai kitchen is my usual go to brand) Also I used a Cuisineart ice cream maker that I have the container always pre-chilled in the freezer ready to go in emergency ice cream needing situations.  (make sure you follow your ice cream maker manufacturer instructions as far as that goes. 

Word of warning:  This is very cinnamoney (not sure if thats a word) if you don't love cinnamon dial the amount down or omit all-together.

So now that we have all the legal mumbo jumbo down lets get crackalackin' (sorry too much Madagascar watching in my past)

Ingredients:  

  • 1 can of Trader Joes Coconut Cream or full-fat coconut milk (13.5 oz or so)
  • 3/4 cup of coconut milk (in carton,trader joes has one without careenegen)   or unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of honey
  • 1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • toasted coconut or coconut chips optional for topping (but highly recommend :))
Method:

Make sure the ice cream maker's bowl has been pre-chilled as per manufacturers instructions.  Blend all of the ingredients in a blender for approximately 45 seconds or until all blended (just not too long, it will get to hot)  Place in the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturers directions... mine took between 20-30 minutes.  Top with this yummy coconut strip topping

I found at Trader Joes...is essentially crack so tread carefully with that stuff!  Enjoy and tell me how it turned out! 

Look at my cute little helper....he was fascinated by this machine and loved the ice cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment