Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Whole Chicken in a Skillet



Ok so it was a Monday, typically I throw a whole chicken in the crockpot and call it a day...but this particular Monday I was so behind on EVERYTHING...we had our internet provider switched so I had to deal with all that and guess what I didn't get my Monday cleaning done...and you know what that does to me? Makes me a neurotic mess...I had to clean on Tuesday...not cool!  The upside is that my internet is blazing fast...I can actually stream amazon on my ipad during my run, while simultaneously streaming kid shows for my little guy from the phone to the Tv...say what ?  We are now in 2014 kids I am stoked!  No more buffering for me...I made it through a 5 mi run and a couple "how I met your mother" episodes with NO interruptions,
besides the three year old wanting to join me in the run and almost causing a tremendous accident.  At any rate this isn't an advertisement for Time Warner Cable internet service or anything, back to my chicken debacle.  So I had a whole chicken and even though I didn't crockpot it, I have been wanting to make a crispier chicken, since slow cooking doesn't really leave you with a crispier skin, this idea came to mind.  And without further ado...the chicken in the skillet:

Ingredients:

  • Whole chicken 4-6 pounds
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp butter ( I used Kerrygold, herb butter)
  • salt and pepper 
Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt 2 tbsp of coconut oil in cast-iron skillet, while melting sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.  Sear the chicken in the oil for a few minutes on each side.  When the chicken is good and crispy on all sides, place the skillet in the oven for an hour and 20 minutes or until the temperature reads 165 degrees, then take out and let rest for a few min before carving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment